ON-SITE SCHOOL CLASSES & WORKSHOPS
Private Picassos partners with a variety of educational institutions throughout the Tri-State area. Whether offering school- day art programming to supplement the current curriculum, or after-school classes, we can create and implement a unique art experience for students age 2 and up.
Children in these classes are not only exposed to new and unique art materials, but also the ideas and methods of their fellow students. Exploring art in a group setting allows for students to learn from one another, share art materials, collaborate on communal artwork and also reflect as a group on their art making experience. While some of these experiences can be had in a traditional school setting, many are unique to a group art class. Creating art with one’s peers, without strict rubrics or guidelines, allows for students to approach each project free of limitations. In this setting, our instructors are also free to respond directly to their students and modify their curriculum as it progresses. Rather than a one size fits all method, we have the flexibility to see what excites our students and in turn respond with related art projects.
We're also a licensed vendor with the NYC Department of Education. Email us for information about bringing Private Picassos to your child's school!
Scroll down for info about our available class themes!
Current and previous school partnerships include:
- Brooklyn Friends School in Downtown Brooklyn
- Dillon Child Study Center Private Pre-K & Elementary School in Ft. Greene, Brooklyn
- Packer Collegiate Institute in Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn
- St. Gregory the Great School on the Upper West Side, NYC
- Bright Horizons Day Care in Williamsburg, Brooklyn
- Brooklyn Free Space Cooperative Pre-School in Park Slope, Brooklyn
- Dumbo Cooperative Pre-School in Dumbo, Brooklyn
- International Pre-Schools four locations in NYC
- Kids BASE in Scarsdale, NY
- Kids Korner Pre-School in Chelsea, NY
- Pine Street School in the Financial District, NYC
- Pre-School of the Arts in Chelsea, NYC
- Stepping Stones Nursery School in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn
- Tutor Time Day Care in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn
- Tutor Time Day Care in Murray Hill, NYC
- Book Culture on the Upper West Side, NYC
- My Beach Baby in Long Beach, NY
- Pipsqueak Children's Shoppe in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn
- Stories Bookshop + Storytelling Lab in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn
- The Strand Book Store in Union Square, NYC
- Excellence Girls Middle Academy in Crown Heights, Brooklyn
- Leadership Prep Ocean Hill Middle Academy in Brownsville, Brooklyn
- PS 11 in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn
- PS 154 in Windsor Terrace, Brooklyn
- PS 244 Q in Flushing, Queens
- The Glenville School in Greenwich, CT
Community Centers, Indoor Playspaces and Camp Partners
- Busy Bodies Playspace in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn
- City Treehouse in Chelsea, NYC
- New York Family Magazine NYC
- Playgarden in TriBeCa, NYC
- Super Soccer Stars locations throughout NYC
- Twinkle Playspace in Williamsburg, Brooklyn
For more information about bringing our program to your school, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For info about School Field Trips & Workshops at our Park Slope Art Studio, email email@example.com.
See a sampling of our available curricula, all of which are available for Public & Private Schools, as well as Enrichment Facilities and In-Home Classes. To see a full list, email firstname.lastname@example.org for a detailed proposal.
We can also customize a class specifically for your location. Just let us know your preferred materials, skills or themes to explore and we'll take care of the rest!
18-48 Months - classes for this age group feature 3-4 activities per session, each focusing on the chosen theme of the day
Students will explore a variety of 2-3 dimensional art materials, increasing their fine motor skills, as well as their verbal and visual vocabularies. An extra focus on recycled materials and world cultures will be made throughout the semester, along with a few long-term art projects. These long term art projects will help kids understand the process of art making, with less emphasis on the final product.
Triangles, Squares and Circles, Oh My!
Young artists will explore shapes, color and strengthen their fine motor skills through a variety of 2-3 dimensional art materials. By focusing on a specific color or theme each session, children will build their skills with drawing, collage, painting and small-scale sculpture.
3-5 Years - classes for this age group feature 1 main activity per session, followed by 2-3 smaller projects
All About Me
Young artists will carefully look at themselves and the world around them through a variety of art activities. Projects will focus around self and family portraits, as well as artists who explore similar themes, such as Frida Kahlo, Pablo Picassos and Andy Warhol. *Can also be modified for 5-8 years
Art Around the World
Young artists will travel around the world on an artistic journey, exploring 2-3 dimensional multi-cultural art activities, including Mexican frescos, Kente cloth weaving and Brazilian Carnivale masks.
Kids will discover the artwork of contemporary and 20th century artists, including Jim Dine, Kiki Smith, Keith Haring, Orly Genger, Sun Kwak, Banksy and many more. We’ll explore their method and materials, along with new techniques being used by artists.
Let’s Look in our Favorite Book
Young artists will read a different children’s book each session and then complete a related art activity. Books and activities include Leonardo the Terrible Monster creature collages, A Big Bug Surprise insect sculptures, Alexander and the No Good, Very Bad Day printmaking.
5-12 Years - this class will focus on one main project per session, in addition to a strong focus on long-term projects
Draw, Doodle and Pop!
This unique drawing class will focus on traditional drawing techniques, getting inspiration from fine artists' artwork such as Jim Dine, Vincent Van Gogh, Keith Haring and many more.
Science & Art
Budding Picassos and young Einsteins unite! Kids will go on an adventure through the intersecting worlds of science and art in this cross-curricular class! We’ll get messy with homemade chalk, Gyotaku printmaking, fossil creation and much more!
Storytelling Through Art -- NEW CLASS!
Students will learn about different methods of storytelling through art. Bookmaking, self portraits, comics and multi-media art will be explored, getting inspiration from fine artist's work, children's literature and street art!
Zip, Zap, Zoom: Comics for Kids
Budding comic artists and enthusiasts will learn the basics to create their own comic book through hands-on activities and explorations of contemporary comic artists.